Living a godly life is God walking with us pointing the way, showing us how, and helping us do it. It’s a process!
3 His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. 2 Peter 1:3
Let’s go through this verse and discover the truths hidden inside:
- Whose power? God’s divine power.
- Given us how much? Everything we need.
- A life like Whose? Like God, a god-like life.
- What do we know of Jesus? Who He is, what He has promised, what He has already told us in His Word, and what He says to us in our daily walk all add up to our knowledge of Him, which grows daily.
- How does He call us? By His own glory and goodness.
- What does it mean to be called by His own glory? His divine nature and power.
- What does it mean to be called by His own goodness? His divine character. It’s who He is.
Are we talking about God or Jesus? The answer to that question is in verses 1 and 2,
Simon Peter, a servant and apostle of Jesus Christ,
To those who through the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ have received a faith as precious as ours:
2 Grace and peace be yours in abundance through the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord.
Peter lists God and Jesus as One, and then as Separate, which we know as God the Father and God the Son. When we talk about one, we are talking about the other, as well. Jesus said that they are one (John 10:30). Add God the Holy Spirit, and we have the Holy Trinity. Having the Spirit in us gives us everything we need because He IS God!
Tomorrow, we will look at how God rescued us through Jesus Christ from sin and death.
Abba, I believe that the “all we need” part of today’s verse is about the Holy Spirit. Having the Spirit of Jesus in us is exactly what we need and all that we need in order to live the God-life. He gives us both the desire and the power to do it! Thank You, Abba. Amen.