More than just a frame for our bodies, our bones give us life. “Life is in the blood.” Lev. 17:11
28 In the way of righteousness there is life; along that path is immortality.
Yesterday, we looked at the two types of bones we have in our bodies, compact bone (compact for hardness and strength) and spongy bone; it’s called “spongy” because of the way it looks. The spongy bone is still hard, but it provides loads of surface area for the storage of nutrients and minerals. Let’s look at the three functions of our bones. From, “A Pocket Guide to the Human Body, page 51-52
First, bones have several mechanical functions. For example, they protect the body’s vital organs; they serve as a framework to which the muscles and organs are attached; and they allow the body to move by means of muscles contracting across joints.
A second important function for bone is to help maintain precise levels of calcium and phosphorus in our blood and tissue fluids (a process called mineral homeostasis). Bone serves as a depot for storing and removing these minerals as needed. Among other things, calcium is vital for cells to stick together and for muscles to contract, while phosphorus is an essential ingredient in many complex chemicals, such as DNA and RNA.
Finally, an exceedingly important function of bone is to produce blood in bone marrow. The marrow produces both red and white blood cells. Red blood cells are essential for carrying oxygen to all the cells in our body, while white blood cells fight disease and infections.
Special cells in the marrow, called megakaryocytes, produce something else for blood, called platelets. These cells fragments circulate in the blood and are important for blood clotting that patches holes in blood vessels.
Our bones get their strength from their design as tubes. Solid rods actually bend easily; tubes don’t. “Bone itself is a remarkably strong material. It is as strong as cast iron and resists bending as well as steel, though bone is only one-third of steel’s weight.
Bone has the right mix of two very different components: a very hard inorganic material called hydroxyapatite and a tough, fibrous organic material called collagen (the protein of leather). The crystal material makes up about 70% of the dry weight of bone, while collagen makes up most of the remaining 30%.”
Bones seemed so simple before studying up on them! It still amazes me that people cannot see a Master Designer. There’s not a wasted bone in our bodies. We would do well to check our lives for anything that is wasting our energy or drawing us off-point. Hebrews 12:1-2 says,
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, 2 fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.
Abba, our bodies are a work of genius, Your Genius. I feel like David when he looked up at the stars and proclaimed, “When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place, 4 what is mankind that you are mindful of them, human beings that you care for them?” I consider the human body, the work of Your fingers, and I am humbled that You care so much for us that You would rather die–on a cross–than see us destroy ourselves. Even so, these bodies return to dust eventually, but You have new, glorified bodies waiting for us. If these bodies reflect Your glory, how much more glorious will our heavenly bodies be (1 Corinthians 15:42-44). I can hardly wait, Lord Jesus. Amen.