SS 11-15-20 Ephesians 3
Today, we read Paul’s testimony—not about his salvation, but about his calling. Let’s pick up his story in Acts 9:15.
The Lord Jesus had set Paul aside to be His spokesman to the Gentiles. Under ordinary circumstances, how would Paul have taken this news? Being visited by the Lord as had happened to him, how did he respond? How about us? If we have truly met with the Lord Jesus, how do we respond when He invites us to join Him in His work?
Let’s read Ephesians 3:1-3, 4-6, 7-9, 10-13
1. The mystery of Christ- what is this mystery that is mentioned in chapter 2?
2. What is the promise mentioned at the end of chapter 6? Hint: 1:18
3. “Though I am the least of all the Lord’s people”-read 1 Corinthians 15:9 and 1 Timothy 1:16. If Corinthians was written near the beginning of his ministry, Ephesians written in the middle of his ministry, and Timothy written near the end of his ministry, what is the progression of these three verses?
4. To whom was this mystery made known (v9-10)? What is the significance of 1 Corinthians 2:8?
5. Through what Christ has accomplished for us, how may we approach God (v12)?
6. What about verse 13?! What’s that all about?
Read Ephesians 3:14-17a (finish sentence), 17b (Pick up with new sentence)-19, 20-21.
1. Read Hebrews 4:16, Revelation 6:9-11, 7:9-11. Getting a better idea about the throne of God?
2. Our last name is His name!
3. Where does Christ strengthen us? How does He do that?
4. Dwell- Abide, live, rule. By what? What’s another word for it?
5. The Love of Christ—Read Ephesians 1:4-8. What do you think?
6. Let’s read verse 21 along with Ephesians 6:12. Who has our back? Who’s gonna win?
7. V.19- Filled to the measure—overflowing!
8. V. 20 How much can you imagine? It’s far beyond that!
9. The Church- How does Christ receive glory?
Conclusion: Since we are part of this mystery (the church), we have the same mandate to share it with others. What is this message? That Christ came from heaven to pay for our sin debt so that we can be reunited with the Father! Let’s live this message so that when we share it, we will have our lives as testimony to its authenticity.
Around the tables:
1. According to Galatians 3:28, what is the outcome of this mystery?
2. When approaching the throne of grace, how do you feel? What does God’s Word say about approaching His throne?
3. If God can do “immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine,” then why don’t most of our prayers get “answered?”