Memorizing Scripture is not hard. All a person has to do is read it everyday. Saying it helps; applying it definitely helps!
Your Word I have hid in my heart that I might not sin against You [God]. Psalm 119:11
One of my memory passages is Colossians 1:9b-14,
We continually ask God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all the wisdom and understanding that the Spirit gives,10 so that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God, 11 being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience, 12 and giving joyful thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of his holy people in the kingdom of light. 13 For he has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves, 14 in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.
- A daily prayer- I pray this prayer for my family, my co-workers, my friends, and even for those who don’t know the Lord Jesus yet.
- …that the Spirit gives- the words are simply words; it is the Spirit who speaks to us in the words, “The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing. The words I [Jesus] have spoken to you—they are full of the Spirit and life“ (John 6:63).
- …live a life worthy of Him- “Worthy” means, “fitting,” “appropriate.” Our lives are to fit the pattern and character of Christ.
- …live a life pleasing to Him- “pleasing” also means, “delighting.” Jesus takes great delight in working daily with us to make us more like Him.
- Bearing fruit in every good work- If we are Spirit-led, then our actions will bear spiritual fruit. Most of the time, we don’t know what that fruit is, but we have faith that it benefits us and the people around us. If anything, it helps us become more like Jesus.
- Growing in the knowledge of Him- Lest we get cocky, we all are growing in our walk and in looking like Jesus. We never know when God will turn that diamond to show us a new facet of His love and grace. Many times, we learn something new about ourselves.
- Being strengthened with all power- In the larger picture of God’s Plan, we cannot fail. We must remember that.
- …giving joyful thanks to the Father- All the time!
- …who has qualified us- How does the Father qualify us? He has adopted us into His family!
- …the kingdom of light- “God is light; in him there is no darkness at all” (1 John 1:5b).
13 For he has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves, 14 in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.
The kingdom of light is the kingdom of the Son. Notice that it is past-tense. Jesus brought the kingdom with Him when He came to earth. Those who have the Son have His life and are members of His kingdom NOW. What is our promise?
…[We wish] to be clothed instead with our heavenly dwelling, so that what is mortal may be swallowed up by life. 5 Now the one who has fashioned us for this very purpose is God, who has given us the Spirit as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come. 2 Corinthians 5:4-5
Death has been defeated and we no longer fear it because we know that when we walk the vale (of death) with Jesus, He will escort us into the full disclosure of His kingdom. Death is, indeed, swallowed up by life. NOW we know why we give joyful thanks to the Father!
Abba, this passage is rich with promise, Your promise. Thank You for the presence of Your Spirit because He is the One guaranteeing what is to come. May we worship You in Spirit and in joyful truth today, Abba. Amen.