In our devotions, we all find what works for us. We just need to make sure that it works for Him.
4 …do not trust your own cleverness. 12 Apply your heart to instruction and your ears to words of knowledge.
15 My child, if your heart is wise, then my heart will be glad indeed;
Yesterday, we began with Psalm 139:23-24 and Psalm 73:23-26, which are long-time memory verses. I read them each morning to work through the process of getting my mind and heart ready to hear the Spirit. It’s time to move on to the meaty part:
Mastering the Mind
- …until Christ is formed in me (Galatians 4:19)
- …conformed to the image of Jesus Christ (Romans 8:29)
- …transformed into His image (2 Corinthians 3:18)
- …made new in the attitude of my mind (Ephesians 4:22-24)
- …made holy, cleansed by the washing of the water of the Word (Ephesians 5:26)
- …saved by the washing of rebirth and the renewal of the Holy Spirit (Titus 3:5-6)
- …blessed hope…purified…eager to do what is good (Titus 2:13-14)
These verses help me focus on allowing my soul, my mind, and my desires to be molded and shaped by the Spirit. We want the same thing: For me to be like Jesus and fit for the kingdom of God (Luke 9:62).
Mastering the Body
- I discipline my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to [taught] others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize. 1 Corinthians 9:27
- Submit to the Lord and resist (James 4:7) the lust of the eyes (we want what we see), lust of the flesh (we want what we feel), and the pride of life (we deserve whatever we want) – (1 John 2:16)
- “Not by might, not by power, but by My Spirit, says the LORD.” Zechariah 4:6. He is our Cornerstone on which we build our foundation. This is bigger than we think. Anything man has touched is tainted. Without even realizing it, we infuse our culture, our upbringing, our opinions, and our desires into whatever we are handling. We must base our worldview, our view of today, and our view of ourselves on what the Spirit is saying to us today, right now. Regardless of what translation we are reading right now, the Spirit wants to shape our minds with truth. Trust Him.
- I don’t live according to the flesh (my way), but by the Spirit. (Romans 8:4)
- I am crucified with Christ and Christ lives in me. (Galatians 2:20)
There is one more passage concerning mastering the mind, but I will deal with it tomorrow. It’s a passage that bears explaining. It’s new to me, too, and I am also in the process of memorizing it.
Finishing (life) well is a big deal to me. I pray it is a big deal to you, as well. May we work to survive, maintain, and grow in our times with the LORD.
Abba, I know it seems like a lot, but really it’s just allowing these verses to wash over me and work through me like yeast in dough. I don’t stop to ponder unless You highlight something along the way. May You increase my ability to focus and concentrate, to perceive and understand what You are saying to me, to my church, and to the Body at large. Amen.