“The Change” is what happens to us when we give our lives to Jesus. He changes us from the inside out.
7 Now then, my children, listen to me; do not turn aside from what I say.
I was listening to my Steven Curtis Chapman playlist and heard one of my favorites, “The Change.” The refrain goes like this:
What about the change, what about the difference?
What about the grace, what about forgiveness?
What about a life that’s showin’ I’m undergoin’ the change?
I got to thinking, “what kind of change?” Here’s what I came up with (so far):
- More loving- He is teaching me to love my brother and sister in Christ and to have compassionate love for those who are not part of His family (2 Peter 1:7-8, Romans 12:19-20, 1 John 4:11).
- More forgiving- He is showing me how to forgive as He forgives (Matthew 6:12-15, Colossians 3:13).
- More focused- I am learning how to remain focused on godly things (Philippians 4:8-9, Colossians 3:2).
- More intentional- I make His business my business and seek out His will (Acts 20:24, 1 Corinthians 9:27).
- More of a peacemaker- I am realizing that what I say either causes peace or hostility (Matthew 5:9, Proverbs 6:19, James 3:10).
- More knowledgeable- Learning who Jesus is according to His Word is vital for spiritual growth (Psalm 19:7-14, 2 Peter 1:5).
- Seeing from His Perspective- That’s the definition of wisdom (Proverbs 1:7, 8:12, 9:10).
I suggest that you develop your own list according to what the Spirit is telling you. Gaining the proper perspective of ourselves is key to submitting to the Lordship of Jesus Christ.
Don’t forget this one thing: God can NEVER be disappointed with you. He loves you and died for you! He knows everything that you ever did and will ever do. Our relationship with the sin in our lives that separates us from having a relationship with the Father has been changed forever. From now on, God uses everything in our lives to teach us to walk in step with Him. Everything: the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. He is looking forward to our glorification when we step into His Presence in His Kingdom. In the meantime, He walks with us in sweet fellowship and uses our imperfections to mold us into the image of His Son.
Abba, may You teach us to undergo the change according to Your Spirit. We want to be just like You, Jesus. Amen.
I’m gonna have the change, I’m gonna have the difference,
I’m gonna have the grace, I’m gonna have forgiveness,
I’m gonna have a life that’s showin’ I’m undergoin’ the change.
The Change – Steven Curtis Chapman