Foundation and framework are important in building a house and in building a life. Where do you find yours?
9 Like a thorn that goes up into the hand of a drunkard is a proverb in the mouth of fools [those who do not intend to put them to use in their lives].
Last week, we looked at passages of Scripture that I read every morning to help me gain victory my Mastering my Mind and Mastering my Body (days 23 and 24). I have a few more passages that I read every morning. One is Psalm 73:23-26. It also happens to be the foundation and framework of my life.
23 Yet I am always with you;
you hold me by my right hand.
24 You guide me with your counsel,
and afterward you will take me into glory.
25 Whom have I in heaven but you?
And earth has nothing I desire besides you.
26 My flesh and my heart may fail,
but God is the strength of my heart
and my portion forever.
There are several things to note in this passage:
- He is not with me; I am with Him. The difference is huge. His presence is my foundation.
- He holds me by my “dominant” hand. Since I’m left-handed, He holds that one and thus curtails many temptations for me to try to do things myself.
- He guides me with His counsel. His Spirit speaks to me when I read, when I pause, and when I focus. His counsel is my framework. He directs my day.
- I have His promise that this world for me will end and that He has a place prepared for me with Him. The kingdom of God (heaven) is my focus.
- In fact, even though I have relatives already with Him, HE is the One that matters to me. He is the One I want to see when I get there. You will notice that it is a prayer and not a teaching. So, I use them to bless my Lord and commit myself to Him by letting Him know that I love Him and that He is my everything.
- Because I have His promise (see John 14:1-3), I make sure that there is nothing that this earth has to offer that draws my attention away from Him.
- Knowing that my heart is deceptive beyond cure (Jeremiah 17:9) and my flesh will fail (1 Corinthians 15:50-53), I place my trust in His strength and choose His eternal portion for me.
With a foundation like this one, there’s no way the enemy can cause me to stumble (doubt my salvation and my future). All I have to do is read this passage every morning and live it all day. Since Christ is the One leading, I don’t even have the stress of having to choose my way. My job is to be an obedient sheep; how about you?
Do you trust Christ to let Him lead in your life? Are you familiar enough with the Bible to know His promises and His intentions? Are you interested in learning them? He can do anything with a willing heart. Make yours available to Him.
Abba, I pray for my readers to come across the passage that becomes their foundation and framework. With You leading them, I know that it will be soon if they are diligent in reading Your Word. “Your Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path. Your servant is warned by them and receives great reward [his foundation and framework passage].” Psalm 119:105 paired with 19:11). Please, make it so, Lord Jesus. We will give You all the glory. Amen.