What happens to us when we die? We will stand before our Maker, God the Father. What will you be wearing?
7 Now then, my children, listen to me; do not turn aside from what I say.
21 For your ways are in full view of the LORD, and He examines all your paths.
When Jesus appeared to the disciples in the upper room after His resurrection, He gave them a promise, “I am going to send you what my Father has promised; but stay in the city until you have been clothed with power from on high” Luke 24:49. What did His Father promise? Clothed with what power?
The night that they celebrated Passover together was only four days before. That night, Jesus told them He would send:
- The Advocate- John 14:16, 26, 15:26, 16:7
- The Spirit of Truth- John 14:17, 15:26, 16:13
- The Holy Spirit- John 14:26
- Greek: Parakleteo- He calls us, invites us, beseeches us, entreats us, even begs us; He exhorts us, admonishes us; He comforts us, encourages us, and consoles us. He is our Come-Alongside-er.
We will look at the coming of the Holy Spirit in Acts 2 a little closer to Pentecost (in 49 days-the countdown has begun).
What does it mean to be “clothed with power from on high”? For that, we look back on Jesus’ teaching in the parable of the Wedding Banquet in Matthew 22:1-14 where we find this verse:
11 “But when the king came in to see the guests, he noticed a man there who was not wearing wedding clothes.
In order to stand in the presence of the King, we must be arrayed correctly. What is the option? For that, we look at 2 Corinthians 5:1-5,
For we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, an eternal house in heaven, not built by human hands. 2 Meanwhile we groan, longing to be clothed instead with our heavenly dwelling, 3 because when we are clothed, we will not be found naked. 4 For while we are in this tent, we groan and are burdened, because we do not wish to be unclothed but to be clothed instead with our heavenly dwelling, so that what is mortal may be swallowed up by life. 5 Now the one who has fashioned us for this very purpose is God, who has given us the Spirit as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come.
What is our conclusion?
- Without the clothing of the Holy Spirit, we will stand naked before God in heaven. That in itself is terrifying!
- The clothing of the Holy Spirit is something we must receive BEFORE we give up these “earthly tents.”
- The fact that the Holy Spirit is a deposit, a guarantee, lets us know that we have a much greater body to which to look forward, one that is suitable for our heavenly dwelling.
- When we receive our new, immortal bodies, “Death has been swallowed up in victory” 1 Corinthians 15:54, which is a quote from Isaiah 25:8.
What a future of HOPE we have! I wonder why every person over 50 doesn’t want to reserve their heavenly bodies (our present bodies don’t work well anymore) by following Christ and receiving the Holy Spirit. Maybe we need to be telling them about Him! In fact, everyone should know about what Christ has in store for those who believe in Him, which can start today. Let’s listen to His voice today and go where He directs us, say what He tells us, and be witnesses for Him, which is what He told His disciples in Luke 24:48.
Abba, I am SO glad that You have something better in store for us! In fact, Your Word tells us that “no eye has seen, no ear has heard, nor has it entered into our hearts what You have prepared for us who love you” 1 Corinthians 2:9. In the meantime, may we follow You with all our hearts knowing that You will lead us every step of the way. Amen.