Our faith is based upon what God said about Jesus, and what Jesus proved Himself to be: The Son of God.
10 The name of the LORD is a strong tower; the righteous run to it and are safe.
While Jesus walked this earth, He claimed to be many things: God’s son, the Light of the world, Living Water, Bread from heaven, the Way, the Truth, and the Life. We take Him at His word that He is all of these. Why? Because of this statement He made to the Pharisees:
28 Truly I tell you, people can be forgiven all their sins and every slander they utter, 29 but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven; they are guilty of an eternal sin.” Mark 3:28-29
Luke was a little more specific:
10 And everyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven. Luke 12:10
The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of Jesus Christ. When the Spirit comes to live in our hearts, it’s actually Jesus Christ who is coming to take up residence. What Jesus is saying is that if a person rejects the Holy Spirit, then He cannot come in and save him. THERE IS NO SALVATION OUTSIDE OF CHRIST. Jesus wasn’t kidding when He said, “I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.” John 14:6 If we believe what Jesus said, then it follows that a person who rejects the Holy Spirit rejects Christ and therefore cannot be saved until he repents and believes what Jesus said about Himself:
- He came from God because He IS God. John 8:12, 14, 16, 23, 38, 40, 42, 49, 54, 58
- He came to lay down His life–to take it up again. John 10:17-18
He must also believe what Jesus did for him:
- Died in his place on the cross for the payment of his sin against God;
- Was buried for three days (the legal time to be declared dead);
- Rose again three days later to prove that He is God!
- Upon believing, he must confess with his mouth Jesus as his LORD, his King, his Boss.
According to Romans 10:9-10, these are the requirements for salvation. When we believe these truths, then we open our hearts to Him and He becomes our LORD and Savior. Thus begins a wonderful and beautiful relationship that will continue into eternity!
There’s more to the story. Jesus made a declaration from heaven to John in Revelation 22:16-17,
16 “I, Jesus, have sent my angel to give you this testimony for the churches. I am the Root and the Offspring of David, and the bright Morning Star.” 17 The Spirit and the bride say, “Come!” And let the one who hears say, “Come!” Let the one who is thirsty come; and let the one who wishes take the free gift of the water of life.
- Jesus declares Himself to be the Messiah, Yeshua Ha’Mashiach, when He says He is the Root and the Offspring of David. Isaiah 9:6-7
- The Spirit is the One who convicts of sin. John 16:8-11
- The Bride is the Church Ephesians 5:25-33; we are the ones who share the Good News with those who don’t know Jesus.
- The invitation is for anyone who hears the message and believes the claims of Jesus. The Spirit makes him thirsty for the Living Water (Jesus). John 7:38-39
- The Water of Life is free in because the price has already been paid.
Lest we get the wrong idea about salvation, the payment for our sin has been made, but the goal is godliness, the kind that only comes by dying to ourselves and allowing Jesus to live through us. We were created for a partnership with God! We were NEVER meant to live life alone.
The Old Testament was written to tell us the story of mankind, what happened, and to show us what we need. The New Testament is written to show us the Remedy to sin, which is the indwelling of the Holy Spirit Who comes through Jesus Christ. Much of the NT is explanation of what happened to us upon salvation. Let’s study it, learn it, and share it!
Abba, the word that comes to mind as I study Your salvation is “Grateful.” That’s what I am because of what You have done for me. An old song describes how I feel:
Lord, I lift Your name on high,
Lord, I love to sing Your praises;
I’m so glad You’re in my life,
I’m so glad You came to save us.
You came from heaven to earth to show the way,
From the earth to the cross my debt to pay,
From the cross to the grave, from the grave to the sky,
Lord, I lift Your name on high!
Rick Founds, 1989