I asked the Lord for a download to quick-start eager Christians; He told me to use the one I am currently using…
14 The discerning heart seeks knowledge, but (the mouth of) a fool feeds on folly (his own intellect).
33 Wisdom’s instruction is to fear the LORD [and spend time with Him], and humility comes before honor.
I am just one beggar telling another beggar where to find the Living Bread.
- I use 3×5 index cards; I have a set that I go through everyday and a set that I go through every week.
- Begin with this prayer (written on a card): “Lord, I give all I know of myself to all I know of You. I trade my ________ for Your _________ today.” Examples would be thoughts, plans, time, schedule, will, life, etc.
- Quote (read) Psalm 139:23-24 to God as a prayer (also on a card), “Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.”
- Write these Scripture verses down on cards (verses can vary according to the Spirit); read them each day; meditate on them, pray them, and memorize them.
- 2 Timothy 1:7, “For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline.” No fear; His power; His love; a calm, disciplined, and well-balanced mind that is self-controlled/Spirit-led.
- Galatians 2:20, “I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.” This is DEFINITELY a daily verse!
- Romans 12:1-2, “And so, dear brothers and sisters, I plead with you to give your bodies to God because of all he has done for you. Let them be a living and holy sacrifice—the kind he will find acceptable. This is truly the way to worship him. Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.
- Work through Romans 12:10-21 in either the NIV or the NLV (or both, plus any other translations you want to use). This passage gives details about how we can expect to act when led by the Spirit. It’s not about following rules, but following the Spirit and living crucified lives.
- Make some prayer cards with people’s names for whom you feel led to pray: family, friends, workmates, neighbors, etc. especially if they are lost.
- Read Proverbs (the day’s chapter) and somewhere in the New Testament, particularly 1 John, John, and Ephesians.
Sure, it’s going to take some time to develop your card system, and it’s going to take some time to get through all the material. Just remember that Jesus saved you to have a relationship with you. It is during your prayer time and Bible study that you become cognizant of His presence and character as well as His likes and dislikes. Are you really eager to do what is good? to do His will? THEN LET’S GET STARTED!
Abba, I pray for my readers that they will welcome the unction of the Holy Spirit to get started. May they be eager to spend time with You because we know that spending time with You will make us more like You. Thank You for the brothers and sisters in my life that hold me accountable, that pray for me, and for the fellowship we share that can only come from Your Spirit. Bless my readers, O LORD. Speak to their hearts. Lead them along the way. Amen.