“Find out what pleases the Lord.” Do you have the desire? Do you care what He likes? His followers do!
2 Desire without knowledge is not good–how much more will hasty feet miss the way!
God wants to show us what pleases Him. It’s all wrapped up in our relationship with Him. He doesn’t want us to do stuff FOR Him, but WITH Him. He will reveal what pleases Him as we get to it in our walk with Him. A lot of what He likes is already printed in His Word, but even that needs clarity and definition by the Spirit.
Yesterday, we looked at D.O.ing the will of God through D.iscernment and O.bedience. We discern what the Spirit is saying to us and then we obey using His power and His direction. The quote at the beginning is actually Ephesians 5:10. Let’s look at the previous verses:
8 For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light [our behavior should show it] 9 (for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness and truth [His light within us produces all that is good, right and true]) 10 and find out what pleases the Lord.
- Asking Him pleases Him.
- Searching for it as for hidden treasure (Proverbs 2:4) pleases Him.
- Enjoying His company, growing in grace and bearing the fruit of the light pleases Him.
- Realizing that we are loved, worthy and already pleasing to Him pleases Him!
We are most like Christ when we are completely dependent upon the Holy Spirit and are striving to show God to others as we enjoy His fellowship and participation in our lives. That’s a description of Jesus’ relationship with the Father while He was on earth. Easy to say, hard to do. It takes trust through repetition, then trust through repetition, then trust through repetition. etc.
Take Abraham for example.
- He was promised by God to become the father of many nations; he allowed Pharoah to take Sarai into his harem. God rescued her.
- God made a covenant with Abraham (and changed his name), and promised once again to make him into a nation that would outnumber the stars and the sands of the sea; he took Sarai’s slave and had a child with her.
- God made yet another covenant with Abraham (circumcision); Abraham allowed King Abimelek to have intentions with Sarah (name change). God rescued her again!
- Finally, Isaac is born! Was God ever mad at Abraham? It’s not indicated anywhere that He was–although, He did say that Ishmael would be a problem from then on. Boy, was He right about that!
Neither is He mad at us when we mess up. He simply rescues us and calls us to walk with Him. Again. and again. Until we are finally perfected in His actual presence in heaven. Let’s not buy the lie of Satan that we can disappoint God. It’s impossible to disappoint the One who knows us inside and out–yet, loves us anyway! He knew what He was getting Himself into. We are His and that’s all that matters to Him. Let’s revel in that revelation! In fact, knowing this little fact about God just makes us love Him more and want to serve Him more.
Abba, it thrills my soul to know that You are crazy in love with me. It makes me wanta SHOUT! I want to please You even as I am pleasing to You. Direct me each day; give me discernment and revelation concerning Your will and I will enthusiastically obey Your command–with Your presence, power, and participation. Let’s get to it! Amen.