Our Foundation: That on which everything is built. What is your foundation? God’s will or your own?
1 Wisdom has built her house;
The foundation of Christians is THE FEAR OF THE LORD. Verse 10 tells us, “The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom…” FEAR means to hold in high regard, respect.
she has set up its seven pillars.
I see these seven pillars as Wisdom, Knowledge, Instruction, Understanding, Insight, Discernment, and Prudence (see Proverbs 1:2-6).
2 She has prepared her meat and mixed her wine; she has also set her table.
The difference between Wisdom and Folly is preparation. Wisdom took time to prepare. In verses 13 and 14, we read that Folly did none of the preparation for guests, and what did she really have to offer? “Stolen water” and “forbidden food (v17).” What was the result of visiting her? DEATH (v. 18)!
Each day, we are given the gift of time. How we use that gift is up to us. Do we spend the proper amount of time in preparation? Do we read His Word to know what He has to say to us? Do we communicate with Him through concerted prayer? Jesus said,
27 “All things have been committed to me by my Father. No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him. 28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”
Do we want to know the Father? Then we get to know the Son. How? Jesus also said,
24 “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock.”
Hence, our foundation: The Word of God (our Bible).
The pillars of our faith are built through our relationship with the Spirit of God who lives within us. They come through Him revealing them to us as we read, look, listen, and do. That communication between us and the Spirit is called PRAYER.
Prayer = Conversation; dialogue
Prayer = Communion-holding something in common (love for the Father), mutual participation in acting on that love.
In Prayer, there is:
- Power! Little prayer=little power; Much prayer=much power (Bill Green).
- Solace! Our lifeline, our comfort, our safety, our peace.
- Foundation! Our Rock for everything we think, say, and do.
In Prayer, we have:
- Conviction- the Voice that tells us which way to go. “And you will hear a voice behind you saying, ‘This is the way; walk in it.'” Isaiah 30:21. It is a voice of encouragement that tells us the next step toward godliness (God) regardless of our last step (or misstep).
- NO Condemnation- We no longer have to worry about eternal consequences or dissolving our relationship with God. Jesus removed the barrier between us and God and HE makes sure it NEVER comes back. How? By living in our hearts! If we hear words of condemnation or discouragement, we can be sure that they are from the enemy, Satan, and we are to repel them! We spend our entire lives learning how to discern between the two voices and how to live by the Spirit’s voice and how to resist the other one.
I know this lesson is basic, but I find that I do better if I go over the basics regularly. In fact, all the information on Prayer listed above is on a notecard that I read everyday! IT’S THAT IMPORTANT!!! May we all take Bible study and Prayer as seriously as God does.
Abba, thank You for revealing Yourself to me through the Scriptures. I find nuggets of wisdom and revelation all the time when reading Your Word! Thank You for conversing with me all through the day. May I “tune in” routinely. I pray for my brothers and sisters in You that they would learn the treasure they have in Your Word and in Prayer. You are an awesome God to have established such an intimate way to commune with Your children! May we all take full advantage of it!!! Amen.