Make sure that the voice you are following is the LORD’s. The Spirit speaks to us in certain ways. Find them out!
25 Do not let your heart turn to her [temptation] ways or stray into her paths.
What does the voice of the Holy Spirit sound like? In order to answer this question, we must know the temperament of God. God is:
- Holy- He is pure in His thinking, utterly righteous, and cannot be tempted, nor does He tempt anyone. “When tempted, no one should say, “God is tempting me.” For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone;” James 1:13
- God came to earth as Jesus, therefore, we can address Jesus knowing that we are addressing God. “Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel [God with us]. Isaiah 7:14
- Jesus is gentle and humble in heart. He will NOT force His will upon anyone. He will certainly guide circumstances, but each of us has the right to choose to listen and follow Him. “28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30
- His Spirit lives in us and guides us. Will we listen? He uses:
- prayer (our conscience and the “still, small voice” [1 Kings 19:12] and the voice right over our shoulder [Isaiah 30:21]),
- the Bible [2 Timothy 3:16-17],
- other people, particularly believers [Hebrews 10:24-25],
- and circumstances [Acts 16:6].
Our job is to avail ourselves to Him. If we are listening and ready to move at His command, then we will be able to discern His instructions and follow His voice. He will empower us to do whatever He asks of us and we will be full of Him–His love, joy and peace–as we minister in His name, be His hands and feet to others, and be His ambassadors to the world.
To this calling we must pledge ourselves anew every morning. Are you READY?
Abba, I pledge myself to You today to follow Your lead in humility, but boldness; kindness, but straightforwardness; gentleness, but with passion. May I disciple as I go through today. May I minister where You lead me to whomever I am with. I find great joy in Your presence and Your participation in my life. LET’S DO THIS! Amen.
“I pledge allegiance to the Lamb
With all my strength, with all I am
I will seek to honor His commands
I pledge allegiance to the Lamb”