Are you lacking in zeal? Have you lost your spiritual fervor? Plug into the SOURCE: Jesus and His Word!
5 Every word of God is flawless; He is a shield to those who take refuge in Him.
1 In the beginning was the Word [Jesus], and the Word [Jesus] was with God, and the Word [Jesus] was/is God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.4 In him was/is life, and that life was the light of all mankind. 5 The light shines [Jesus] in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it. John 1:1-4
How do I know that Jesus is the Word of God? A little later in that chapter, John tells us that, “the Word became flesh and dwelt among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth (v14).”
Let’s combine these verses with Proverbs 1:23,
Repent at my rebuke!
Then I will pour out my thoughts to you,
I will make known to you my teachings and pour out my heart to you.
So, it makes sense that if we read His Word, then we are conversing with God through Jesus Christ as His Spirit makes known to us His thoughts and His heart.
As we read, we receive handles of truth that the Holy Spirit uses to teach us and guide us. For instance, I read this morning Romans 12:9-21, in which are these verses:
9 Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. 10 Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves.11 Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord.
- In order to love, I must be sincere in my love. No flattery or talking about that person behind his/her back. I must truly love that person as a brother or sister in Christ, or a prospective one.
- As I learn what God hates and what He loves, I cling to the good and get rid of the bad. I even learn to hate evil because it destroys people, relationships, and everything good.
- I learn to devote myself to Christ who calls me to be devoted to others. I must be concerned with meeting their needs as they arise–according to His guidance. Many times, coordinating to meet that need is better than meeting it myself.
- Putting others’ needs before my own is what honoring each other is all about.
- In these things, we are to be zealous. We keep our spiritual fervor by diving into His Word for refreshment of spirit and time with Him. We bask in His love and the joy, peace, hope and grace that emanate from Him. Serving the LORD is a PLEASURE!
May these truths come alive in our lives today as we make time in our schedules to read His Word and entrust ourselves to His guidance. It’s all about the relationship.
Abba, may You become alive to us as we read Your Word. May You speak to us through it even as we read it. May You call to mind truths that You want us to apply and when You want them applied. As we obey, may we feel Your love, joy, peace, hope and grace, O LORD. Give us a sense of YOU. Amen.