Looking ahead to what is coming in the next election year, it promises to be a wild ride–it’s a wild ride right now!
9 Instruct the wise and they will be wiser still;
teach the righteous and they will add to their learning.
10 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom,
and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.
Another verse we should consider is 22:3, “The prudent see danger and take refuge,
but the simple keep going and pay the penalty.”
What I consider to be vital areas are:
- The support of Israel. Either as a nation or as an individual, we have been warned by God to support Israel. We may not approve of their spiritual state at present, but we know that they are in a type of suspension until the “times of the Gentiles has been fulfilled” (Luke 21:24). But, we are seeing God begin to move in the hearts of individual Jews! They are coming to Christ and accepting Yeshua as Messiah in numbers never seen before. We must do everything we can toward the salvation of the Jews–at the expense of the Gentiles? Goodness, no! But, we have this promise: “I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse;” Genesis 12:3. That statute is still valid.
- The rights of the unborn child. Abortion is the modern worship of the god Molech (see Leviticus 20:2-3, Jeremiah 7:31). We, as a nation, cannot ask for God’s blessing if we condone and protect by law this behavior. We must preach against it and teach that those little lives are sacred and must be protected.
- We must have a strong military. The show of might-and the willingness to use it- curbs evil. Nuff said.
- We need a good moral climate. Judeo-Christian values is on what our nation was based.
- We need a strong economy. Whatever decisions are made should be made with these things in mind:
- What promotes new business?
- What promotes people’s safety in spending? In other words, do people feel safe to spend?
- Is our country’s leaders being wise in how they spend our country’s money? This one is a can of worms–or snakes. I’m afraid that the leaders who try to open this one up will (and have) become the “problem.” We need to pray for courage and protection for those willing to take on “the beast.”
For these things we pray and vote. We must remember that as the time of Jesus’ Appearing draws near, this world will grow darker–which means that our lights should grow stronger and brighter! Let’s make sure that we are watching and discerning the times according to God’s Word and His Spirit.
34 “But keep watch on yourselves, or your hearts will become dulled by carousing, drunkenness and the worries of everyday living, and that Day will be sprung upon you suddenly like a trap! 35 For it will close in on everyone, no matter where they live, throughout the whole world. 36 Stay alert, always praying that you will have the strength to escape all the things that will happen and to stand in the presence of the Son of Man [as one approved].”
Abba, I am both excited and wary about the coming election. I know that You put kings and leaders in place and remove them, raise nations up and bring kingdoms down, and I am counting on You doing the same thing with America. May we Christians be faithful to honor You with our lives, vote according to Your leading, and to be witnesses wherever we go and in whatever circumstances we find ourselves knowing that You are in charge of our lives. Make us intentional followers of the Way, O LORD. I place my faith and trust in You again today. Amen.