Making our lives all about Christ–is that your goal? The Spirit within us urges us to make life all about Him.
5 The righteousness of the upright will direct his way, but the wicked will fall by his own wickedness. 6 The righteousness of the upright will deliver them, but transgressors will be taken by their schemes.
What we chronically forget is that we don’t live in a vacuum. Our position is not clinical. We have the Lord drawing us on one side and the devil pulling us on the other. Our own sin nature tends to lean toward the devil’s side while our new nature, Christ in us, counsels us to imitate Jesus.
I see two outcomes:
- If we succumb to evil and our own nature, then we must live with the consequences either in this live or the next–or both.
- If we answer the call of the Spirit within us, then we reap the benefits and fruit of righteousness. We become a little bit more like Him. We experience His love, His joy, His peace; we gain patience, kindness, goodness, and we become faithful and gentle, even as we increase in self-control. We learn truth and practice righteousness.
Paul expressed this process in this way:
21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. Philippians 1:21
Randy Lind, our state Music Director, shared the anecdote about texting the song, “I Love to Tell the Story,” and his predictive text changing it to “I Live to Tell the Story.” He looked down and realized that the predictive text version was more accurate than the real title!
We must ask ourselves this question, “Is my goal to please myself or to please my Lord?” This question plays a part in every decision we make. If we have truly given our heart and life to Jesus, then we want what He wants. If we are still resistant to the Spirit and what Jesus wants, we need to take the test in 2 Corinthians:
Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you—unless, of course, you fail the test? 2 Corinthians 13:5
We who are in Christ:
- Are sanctified by Him. John 17:19
- Are being conformed into His image. Romans 8:29
- Are being transformed into His likeness. 2 Corinthians 3:18
- Are being renewed inwardly day by day. 2 Corinthians 4:16
- Are having Christ formed in us. Galatians 4:19
- Are being renewed in the image of our Creator. Colossians 3:10
- Are being strengthened by His power through His Spirit in our inner being. Ephesians 3:16
- Are having our needs met according to God’s glorious riches in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:19
- Participate in the divine nature by living according to His very great and precious promises, thus escaping the corruption in the world caused by evil desires. 2 Peter 1:3-4
- Have the glorious riches of the mystery of Christ in us so that through us He might make this mystery known to the world. Colossians 1:27
NOTE: If you don’t have these verses highlighted and linked, it would be a good thing to do.
Abba, You have invested so much in me. I want to give back to You all I can. Even THAT takes You working in and through me! Have Your way in me, O Lord. I want all to know that Christ lives in me! Amen.