Our main goal is not to live a sinless life, but to have Christ formed in us. The other will come in time.
(21) bind them always on your heart; fasten them around your neck.
Where do we learn to be like Christ?
- From the Gospels- Christ’s own words, written down by inspiration of the Holy Spirit by godly men, compel us to imitate Him and to obey Him.
- From Paul’s letters- He was shown the Master Plan by the Master.
- From Peter’s and John’s letters- Both men walked with Christ. They were given the task of leading the Church after its creation–always by the leading of the Holy Spirit.
- The Old Testament- Knowing the overall plan and by reading about God’s interaction with our forefathers gives us depth and a foundation for our faith. Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever. Hebrews 13:8
- From other Christians- Their experience is important to our faith. We can avoid many pitfalls and traps through their wisdom and experience.
Paul wrote to the Galatians, who were having problems with false teachers trying to lead them back into Judaism, and said:
(19) My dear children, whom I am again in the pains of childbirth until Christ is formed in you, Galatians 4:19
Let’s learn a lesson from the Jeremiah when he was at the potter’s house:
1 This is the word that came to Jeremiah from the Lord: 2 “Go down to the potter’s house, and there I will give you my message.” 3 So I went down to the potter’s house, and I saw him working at the wheel. 4 But the pot he was shaping from the clay was marred in his hands; so the potter formed it into another pot, shaping it as seemed best to him. 5 Then the word of the Lord came to me. 6 He said, “Can I not do with you, Israel, as this potter does?” declares the Lord. “Like clay in the hand of the potter, so are you in my hand, Israel.
Isaiah, too, knew the message of the potter:
Yet you, LORD, are our Father. We are the clay, you are the potter; we are all the work of your hand. Isaiah 64:8
Today, may we determine in our hearts that we will be soft and malleable in the hands of our Lord and Savior. May we kill our pride and our flesh (sinful nature) and put on our new nature in the Spirit, the one created in true holiness and righteousness (Eph. 4:24). Let’s allow Christ to be formed in us TODAY!
Abba, this is my plea and goal today. May people see Jesus in me as You are formed in me. Amen.