The Christian life is simple: If you want to be like Jesus, then seek His face. If not, then don’t.
(30) Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.
Robin and I went and saw OVERCOMER yesterday at the theatre. WOW! What a great story and message! When “Hannah” came to know the Lord, she was directed to read the first two chapters of Ephesians and to write down any description of who she is now in Christ. Let’s look at verses 3-14 and try it:
3 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ.
1. We are blessed with every spiritual blessing, therefore we are desired.
4 For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight.
2. We are chosen in Him before time, therefore we are valued.
3. We are holy in Him, therefore we can approach Him.
4. We are blameless in Him, therefore we are forgiven.
In love 5 he predestined [planned] us for adoption to sonship through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will—
5. We are planned, therefore we have worth.
6. We are adopted, therefore we are wanted.
6 to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves.
We have been given grace, therefore we are FREE!
7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God’s grace 8 that he lavished on us.
7. We are redeemed, therefore we are twice His.
8. We are forgiven, therefore we are restored.
9. We are rich in grace, therefore we can afford to give it away the same way we got it–by lavishing it on others.
With all wisdom and understanding, 9 he made known to us the mystery of his will according to his good pleasure, which he purposed in Christ,
10. We are His children, therefore He has made known to us what He is about: the salvation of all who will come to Him.
10 to be put into effect when the times reach their fulfillment—to bring unity to all things in heaven and on earth under Christ. 11 In him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will,
11. We are chosen, therefore we have worth.
12 in order that we, who were the first to put our hope in Christ, might be for the praise of his glory. 13 And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation.
12. We are included, therefore we are part of His Story.
When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit,
13. We are marked, therefore we belong to God.
14. We are sealed, therefore we are secure.
14 who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession—to the praise of his glory.
We would do well to read these verses every day just to remind ourselves of who we are in Christ and whose we are. It would change the way we think, and therefore, change the way we feel. For instance:
- To know that I am chosen, adopted, holy and blameless shelters me from the lies of the devil when he tells me I am worthless.
- To know that I am forgiven and have had His riches of His grace lavished on me allows me to forgive others and lavish His grace on them.
- To know that I am marked and sealed allows me to be courageous.
See what I mean? Let’s work really hard to internalize these wonderful characteristics that we have as new creations in Christ. THESE TRUTHS are what it means to have Christ living in us.
Abba, thank You for such a wonderful plan for the world and for me. I pray that You will use me as an extension of Yourself to reach the world. May I exude Your love, joy, peace, hope and grace to everyone around me as I declare Your truth and live righteously according to Your Spirit. I declare this prayer to be my manifesto. May it be so, Lord Jesus. Amen.