Transforming the way we think is important. How would Christ have us think?
12b Does not he who guards your life know it? Will he not repay everyone according to what they have done?
OC (Old Covenant) thinking is about “an eye for an eye (Ex. 21:24),” but Christ would have us show His love to those around us. Before Christ came, people worked either to avoid wrath or for blessings (will he not repay everyone according to what they have done?“). Since Christ came and brought the New Covenant (NC) and now lives in our hearts, we live for Him out of gratitude for Him paying our sin debt so that we avoid God’s wrath; now, God counts Christ’s righteousness toward us and we now receive all of God’s blessings! Now, everything we do and think has this prefix: “Concerning Christ.” Here are a few examples:
- Concerning Christ, I will live my life according to His revealed Word in the Bible.
- Concerning Christ, I will treat my fellow brothers and sisters in Him with dignity and respect.
- Concerning Christ, I will see all people as potential brothers and sisters in Christ and give them the same dignity and respect.
- Concerning Christ, I will consider the things of this world (what I see with my eyes, what I feel in this body, and how I feel about my life) through His eyes and His filters.
- I will hold loosely to the things of this world and hold tightly to Jesus.
What’s fun is to read each proverb with one of these prefixes:
- According to Christ…
- Concerning Christ…
- Because of Christ…
These phrases help us to change the way we view Proverbs from OC to NC. We do not work FOR avoidance of wrath or FOR blessings; we work OUT OF gratitude and love for our Savior.
Let’s worship our heavenly Father collectively today, at our respective churches, with grateful hearts. Let’s thank Him for His blessings that are ours in Christ Jesus.