We have a constant invitation: Wisdom or Folly. Which shall we choose? One leads to reward; the other, suffering.
4 “Let all who are simple come in here!” she (wisdom] says to those who lack judgment [have no spiritual sense]. 5 “Come, eat my food [I have prepared] and drink the wine I have mixed. Pr 9:4-5
16 “Let all who are simple come in here!” she [Folly] says to those who lack judgment [have no spiritual sense]. 17 “Stolen water is sweet; food eaten in secret is delicious!” Pr 9:16-17
Three things come to mind:
- The invitation is general in nature, but specific to each of us. The common factor is our lack of spiritual sense. Jesus said it like this, “Blessed are the poor in spirit [knowing we are bankrupt in spiritual discernment] for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.” Mt. 5:3 Knowing who to trust is vital. We MUST trust the LORD.
- The food and drink of Wisdom has been prepared. God has given us all we need in the form of His Spirit within us and His written words. Folly, on the other hand, serves stolen water and forbidden food. There’s a certain thrill at Folly’s table. Beware!
- The outcome of each is given in the following verses of each:
Wisdom: 6 Leave your simple ways and you will live; walk in the way of understanding. Pr 9:6
This understanding is explained in verse 10 as our relationship with the LORD:
10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and [experiential] knowledge of the Holy One [knowing Him] is understanding. Pr 9:10
Folly: 18 But little do they know that the dead are there, that her guests are in the depths of the grave. Pr 9:18
Folly leads to death. What IS Folly?
- the state or quality of being foolish; lack of understanding or sense.
- a costly and foolish undertaking; unwise investment or expenditure.
As we can see, it should not be our first choice. Yet, many do just for the thrill and/or to exercise their right go free will. It is sad. They destroy themselves through sin when Jesus came, died and rose again so that they could have abundant (overflowing) life.
Let’s be wise today and choose LIFE by choosing to walk in wisdom.