(Actually out of chapter 6)
Free will is tough. We have to live with the results of our own choices. How do we know what to do? Ask God! He’s waiting.
20 My son, keep your father’s [God’s] commands and do not forsake your mother’s [godly] teaching. 21 Bind them upon your heart forever; fasten them around your neck. 22 When you walk, they will guide you; when you sleep, they will watch over you; when you awake, they will speak to you.
23 For these commands are a lamp[Ps. 119:105], this teaching is a light,
and the corrections of discipline are the way to life, 24 keeping you from…[areas that are dangerous] Prov. 6:20-24a
The point of salvation is relationship. God wants to have a close, loving fellowship with us. Without Him in our hearts, our sin nature (who we are without Christ) leads the way. Our natural desires get the best of us– and Satan makes sure of it!
We are warned to:
- Be careful with our money and with whom we make pledges (1-5)
- Be diligent in doing what we know to do (6-11)
- Not manipulate, but to allow God to lead (12-15)
- Not follow our natural tendencies toward selfishness, greed, lying, murder, scheming, and stirring up conflict (16-19)
- Stay away from lust; it makes a great idol-but it is deadly! (26-35)
Let’s establish our relationship with God through Jesus Christ by allowing the Spirit to lead. As He does, let’s work hard against our natural desires to be like God (godly).