We have such a wonderful gift! God has given us His thoughts in a letter to us so that we can know Him better! Let’s read it!
Proverbs 13:4 The sluggard craves and gets nothing, but the desires of the diligent are fully satisfied.
Regardless of how I feel, I KNOW that I need the LORD guiding my life. So, my higher desire (above how I feel due to what I ate, how much sleep I got, how I was raised, my own preferences, etc) is to hear from Him. In order to hear from Him, I must be listening! How do I do that? Thanks for asking!
- I recognize that I need Him;
- I acknowledge that His Spirit is in me and is ready to meet with me;
- I read/study in His Word that which He has already revealed about His character, His feelings for me, and His desires for this world;
- I listen for Him to speak to me. He usually whispers how much He loves me and then He starts highlighting things in His Word and in my life that He wants me to address–some are for my character and others are for His service;
- I stay until I “hear” Him say, “Let’s go.” Then we get started with my day.
How long? It depends on Him. I just try to build in as much time as possible so that He has as much time as possible.
King David was a man after God’s own heart (1 Samuel 13:14, Acts 13:22). What does that mean? It means that he wanted to please God. Is that your goal, as well? I pray that it is. David held God’s Word in high esteem; Psalm 119 shows us (key verses: 2, 9, 11, 24, 27, 33-38, 58, 60, 102-103, 105, 125, 130, 160, 165).
May we put Him first in our lives today. May we listen for Him as we read His Word and then follow His lead as we walk through this day. Trust me: we will be fully satisfied!