There is too much “flesh” in our way for us to coast; we must stay vigilant, always striving to stay focused on Him.
According to verses 1-10, we must:
- Accept His words [we must first read them, or, at least, hear them] and store His commands in us [keep them close at hand and ready to do according to His will];
- Turn our ear to wisdom [quit deciding for ourselves what is best–there’s no way we can know] and apply our heart to understanding [work hard to grasp God’s perspective];
- Call out for insight [ask the Spirit to teach us, to open our eyes and ears and minds to the Gospel and all it entails] and cry aloud for understanding [make public our plea to understand God’s ways–accountability];
- Look for it as for silver [refined seven times (Psalms 12:6)–are we willing to be refined seven times?] and search for it as for hidden treasure [consider His Word worth a fortune–it IS!];
- What is the result?
We will understand the fear of the LORD
- [that reverential, intimate respect that comes from abiding in His love and our absolute trust in Him]
and find the knowledge of God
- [experiential knowledge, the kind we get by spending time with Him].
He gives us wisdom
- [His perspective],
and from his mouth come knowledge and understanding
- [He will show us His will].
We will have victory in our future
- [with the promise of glorification–where He makes us completely like Him in character];
He will be our shield as we walk in blamelessness
- [He has taken the responsibility of making us blameless!];
He will guard our course
- [as we follow closely to Him, keeping in step with Him, even wearing a double yoke with Him]
as He guards our way as His faithful ones
- [He goes before us, behind us, He covers us, and carries us when need be];
Then we will understand what is right and just and fair—every good path
- [just as in yesterday’s Proverbs, we will finally get it];
For wisdom will enter our hearts
- [that experiential knowledge that comes from spending time with Him]
and knowledge will be pleasant to our souls
- [we will finally realize that His ways are pleasant ways, even when they are rough ones because He is with us];
Discretion will protect us
- [that insight as to what is the right thing to say and do–or not say and not do],
and understanding will guard us
- [we take only ways that are firm and straight].
- Well, what are we waiting for? Let’s get to reading God’s Word!