How much of the world can we tolerate before being drawn in? Only the Spirit knows, so follow His lead!
Proverbs 23:19 Listen, my son, and be wise, and keep your heart on the right path.
So much of this chapter is about learning to navigate through life with as little damage as possible.
- Verses 1-3 are about ulterior motives;
- Verses 4-6 are about chasing riches;
- Verses 6-8 are about stingy people (attitude);
- Verse 9: stay far away from fools (someone who knows better, but doesn’t care) and scoffers (they not only don’t care, they get mad at you or make fun of you and your beliefs);
- Verses 10-11 are about honesty and compassion;
- Verse 12: Learn, learn, learn by reading God’s Word!
- Verses 13-14 are about raising children (we all have a rebellious streak);
- Verses 15-16 are about truth and making wise decisions based on His truth;
- Verses 17-18 are about making sure what your heart desires is Jesus and His will and ways.
- Verses 19-21 are about choosing God’s standard of a good time over what the world calls a good time (be sober and vigilant and of sound mind);
- Verses 22-25 are about what makes a person truly wise; hopefully, godly children being raised by godly parents.
- Verses 26-28 are about guys keeping their eyes away from alluring sights and minds on godly thoughts and actions, and a word for women to not use their sexuality in an ungodly fashion.
- Verses 29-35 are an editorial on the party lifestyle. We need to be reminded (often) that “sin takes us farther than we want to go, makes us stay longer than we want to stay, and makes us pay [much] more than we want to pay.”
Instead, let’s focus on walking with Jesus and enjoying all of His benefits:
Amazing love, joy inexpressible, peace that passes all comprehension, a hope that is out of this world, and grace beyond measure–to say nothing of His sweet companionship as He shares His knowledge and wisdom with us.
We can count on it!
Ephesians 3:20-21 Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us,  to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.